incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:42:16 GMT
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:12:17 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> In your experience is it necessary to provide this title and reward in
> order to retain these volunteers?  I mean, beside whatever
> satisfaction they get from answering user questions (which I assume is
> the primary reason they are there)?

The Title and colour offer some reassurance to the unsophisticated poster that the advice
they are being offered is from someone more experienced in the application than they are,
that someone having been offered that title after peer review of their Forum activity.  The
ability to post direct to non-public discussion channels is a useful facility which is a convenient
way to contact other volunteers, rather than cluttering up their mailboxes with emails.  I
appreciate that email is the preferred Apache way to do things; we find the non-public Forum
channels more convenient.

"de gustibus non est disputandum"

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>