incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:53:29 GMT
Hi eric,

On Tuesday, 2011-09-06 00:40:30 +0200, eric b wrote:

> >build -P8 --all (my build box is a Quad Core, with 6 GB Ram)
>
> If you use build, you are in instsetoo_native, aren't you ? (else
> dmake from $SRC_ROOT )
>
> Tip : for a Quad core, I'd suggest you to use parallel build
> (supposing it will not break):
>
> cd instsetoo_native
> build --all -P6 -- -P6 -- -P6 -- -P6

Umm.. the first -P6 for build means build 6 directories found in
*/prj/build.lst in parallel, the second -P6 instructs dmake to spawn
6 processes for targets found in each makefile.mk, so already
build -P6 -- -P6
could create up to 36 processes, if for each directory triggered by
build there are at least 6 independent makefile.mk targets.

> Explanation : -- to separate every core, 6 tasks per core. Don't
> forget to use upper case (else it won't work)

Sure that repeating  -- -P6  has any effect? Never tried that. If so,
that would probably add to the 36 ...

With a quad core I'm using  build -P3 -- -P2  in the background to keep
my machine responsive for other tasks, or  build -P4 -- -P3  for a bit
heavier load.

  Eike