incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Real names (was: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project)
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:58:28 GMT
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 08:47:25 -0400
Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

<snip>
> When you sign an iCLA, you may optionally specify a "Public name", which
> is what Apache displays as public information associated with your
> Apache id (if/when you get one).  Thus by policy, Apache allows
> contributors to maintain a public pseudonym, although officially Apache
> does need to know (privately) your real name.

I do not think there would be any difficulty with this.

> In terms of actual practice, please note that very few committers at
> Apache use a public pseudonym like this.  More than 98% of our
> committers use their real name, and most of them sign their real names
> in most emails.
>
> In terms of flames and spam, this generally works fine for Apache
> committers.  In terms of community, this allows your reputation to build
> associated to you, as your real name, and not to an alias.

On the Forum back channel communications between Users and Volunteers are by Personal Message
or by Email, both hadled by the Forum software, so that "real" email addresses are not revealed.
 It is unfortunately the case that disgruntled users (often extremely unskilled) can and do
resort to use of a "real" email address as a "private" channel to a tutor.  We normally do
not encourage the use of such back channels, preferring that all information relevant to a
problem be posted to the thread. Use of a real name by a volunteer leaves an opening for his
actual email or physical address to be ascertained by searching, which is why most don't use
real names in case of harassment.

I can recollect one famous Irish hotel where the House, Catering and Accomodation managers
all had pseudonyms.  If one heard Mr Edison, Mr Bell, or Mr Marconi being paged, one of these
was being sought.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>