incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:55:40 GMT
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:44:29 +0100
Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:

> If you want someone to join your party, then the best way is to use
> rational arguments and gentle persuasion.  Giving bald ultimatums to
> communities with other options usually achieves the direct opposite effect.

I'm seeing that the main sticking point for Apache v's the Forum is that Apache want discussions
on Apache matters to be carried out on their mailing lists.  But to be frank, the Forum personnel
don't care about these, at least as far as they relate to the Forum - we spend our time trying
to solve users' problems, not discussing how many angels can stand on the head of an Apache
pin.  If Users have a problem or suggestion, we suggest that they raise an issue for it; the
new mechanism for that will undoubtedly be the Apache method.  The day to day management of
the Forum could continue as before and as it has run successfully since 2007(?).  In another
posting Rob raised the question of how the form would support a new release; it is the case
that many of the Forum personnel will have been running a new release, in some cases since
Alpha release, and in many cases since Beta releases, so will have expertise in using it.

I'm trying to cut these interminable quoted and requoted mailings down to a manageable size.
 There is a school of thought that says everything for decision should be on one A4 sheet
of paper.  Hear, hear!

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>