incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:29:55 GMT
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 12:35:05 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> This is really easy to resolve:
>
> 1) Discussions on evolving forum policies and rules must occur on
> ooo-dev.  These are tantamount to proposals, and they are subject to
> Apache Way decision making, just like any other part of the project.
> If I wanted to suggest a different editing policy for the community
> wiki, or a new moderation policy for ooo-users, I would be slapped
> down if I raised it on ooo-private.  The transparency principle
> applies equally to the forums.

Discussions behind the scene are not proposals; they emerge into one or more consensuses,
which are then considered as proposals and a selection made. I doubt there will be much objection
to this.

> 2) Non-confidential, day-to-day operations of the forum should occur
> in a publicly-readable forum, or on a new public mailing list. I'd let
> the forum volunteers decide which.

Such a publicly readable form is the Forum, which is openly accessible; to post to it requires
a User to choose a Username and to indicate his OS and version of OOo or OOo fork,

> 3) Private discussions on confidential matters, including your
> grandmother, occur either on ooo-private or on a private forum that
> echos its posts to ooo-private.  Again, I'd let the forum volunteers
> decide which.

These occur on three dedicated channels as I outlined earlier; the offer is there to allow
interested Apache personel access to them immediately.  A more public (even if still private
mechanism) can be worked out, such as that they can be automatically echoed to a monitorong
list.  Much of the discussion is merely administrative and may increase the load on such monitoring
lists.

I will echo this posting to the private OOo channels - perhaps we are now getting somewhere?

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>