incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:48:03 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Wednesday, 2011-08-31 20:11:01 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> So I think we take this on a case-by-case basis.  Personally, I don't
> >> have problems with a small patch of a few lines where the author has
> >> clearly expressed they are contributing it under ALv2.  But a patch of
> >> 10,000 lines of code with doubted provenance?
> >
> > I wasn't mentioning doubted provenance. I'm talking about cases where
> > the author clearly states that he owns the copyright and contributes the
> > work under AL2.
> >

> If someone hands me a check for $10 and has an illegible signature on
> it, I might let that pass.  But if someone gives me a check for $10000
> I would probably insist on a legible signature.

If the illegible signature is the one deposited with the bank, insisting
on a legible signature wouldn't help much, to the contrary, you might
not get your money.

> >> And from a community development perspective, we should be looking for
> >> opportunities to encourage contributors to sign the iCLA and look for
> >> ways to vote them in as Committers.  If someone is making many
> >> patches, especially significant ones, and we have not voted them in as
> >> a Committer, then the PPMC is doing something wrong.
> >
> > I'm taking the occasional savvy contributor into consideration who does
> > not want to get involved too deeply with the project and does not want
> > to sign a CLA, yet is willing to contribute his work.
>
> You know that these are two different things, yes?

Yes.

> Someone can sign
> the iCLA but not become a committer and so not have any deeper
> commitment to participate in the project.
>
> Anyhow, if this did come up, I'd try to understand why the person was
> unwilling to sign the iCLA. Not as a debate or an argument, but to
> hear their concerns.  We might be able to persuade them.  But if not,
> then it is likely that we would need to decline the contribution.

There are people who won't sign whatever CA, call it philosophical
conception, due to history especially not if it's for OOo. If
contributions are welcome only under iCLA you probably won't see them
showing up here.

  Eike