incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [users] Re: Languages
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:54:02 GMT
Hi Andrea,

On Sunday, 2011-09-04 16:39:35 +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
> >1) What constitutes a language is as much a political and cultural
> >question as a linguistic one.  No sense debating it here.
>
> Ultimately what matters to us is whether ISO assigned a code to the
> language or not, so a technical issue; as I wrote earlier, it did in
> ISO 639-2 (Neapolitan = "nap"); and this is all that matters to us.
> I definitely agree people should not debate non-technical issues on
> this list.

Indeed, availability of an ISO 639 alpha code is the only thing that
matters to OOo.

> Then Dale will be stuck at the issue creation phase, since BugZilla
> is being migrated too.

BugZilla is migrated. Changing the creation links in the wiki doesn't
make sense right now because the wiki is being migrated.. best to wait
until things settled down.

> This is why I wrote that it's probably best
> to contact Eike Rathke directly, since these issues used to be
> assigned to him. I've taken the liberty to CC him explicitly, sorry
> Eike if you preferred otherwise.

It's ok, I use a capable mailer that tells me "this mail was also posted
to a mailing list". I don't know though what I should do at the moment
with new languages/locales being requested, they'd just pile up. I could
integrate them to LibreOffice..

> And good luck with bringing a new language to OpenOffice.org!

This will take a few months, I guess.

  Eike