incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Concerns about all PDL website material
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 01:02:05 GMT

On Sep 7, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 8 Sep 2011, at 01:08, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> No, I am not touching the PDL license. I mean that on pages where I cannot find a
filled an initial writer to acknowledge with their copyright, I will have no copyright, not
even the Apache copyright. If we cannot ascertain the copyright holder then no copyright exists.

> I'd welcome correction, but I believe the ocopyright to anything without a valid alternative
license will fall under the terms of the site Terms of Use[1] section 4c (according to section
4e):
> "You hereby grant to the Host and all Users a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide,
non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and license under Your intellectual property
rights to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute,
perform, display and use Your Submissions (in whole or part) and to incorporate them in other
works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the obligation
to retain any copyright notices included in Your Submissions. All Users, the Host, and their
sublicensees are responsible for any modifications they make to the Submissions of others."

> ToU prior to this version also carried equivalent clauses. That clause delivers rights
equivalent to ownership to Oracle /and/ to all Users, which would include the participants
in this project. I suggest seeking advice from legal@ but I doubt there is an obstacle here.

Thanks!

I just read from the licensing faq [2]

It seems then that most is not PDL and is then OCA or TOU. From reading the FAQ it seems like
Sun/Oracle pushed that.

I found a list of Copyright assignments here. [3]

If we preserve that, we are likely good the only question now is for legal in the context
of proper copyright attribution. I'll need to think about the best way to ask in the context
of the whole migration of the openoffice.org website to apache infra as an openoffice.org
domain.

Some of the snippets and contests may be LGPL and we will need to find those but that's known
and expected.

Regards,
Dave

[2] http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html