incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:34:45 GMT

On Sep 6, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for that Christian.
>>
>> sorry - a double post.
>>>
>>> My only real question is regarding the moderators needing to be part of
>>> the PMC - I'm not at all sure I see that need.
>>
>> just to be clear - although I would encourage mod's to be in the PMC my
>> question is about making it a hard requirement.
>>

> I'd think of it this way:
>
> We don't want a stranger to walk off the street and be immediately a
> moderator, right?  It requires some level of vetting.  A moderator can
> ban users, they can kick real people off the boards if they do not
> like their behavior. So it is a position of authority.  A Moderator is
> an important role with real influence.  They, through their decisions,
> help set the tone of the forum and represent the "public face" of
> Apache OpenOffice.
>
> How do we ensure, as a project, that the right people are given that
> responsibility?  In other words, in what way does the PPMC oversee
> this?  One way would be to use the committer proposal/approval
> process.  Something less formal, is what we do with mailing list
> moderators.  We propose a name to ooo-dev, in public, seek lazy
> consensus, and then ask Apache Infra to add their names.  They don't
> need to be a committer, but they require nomination and lazy consensus
> approval.

The main change you are proposing is where the nomination occurs. According to numerous descriptions
of how the forums are administrated even "Volunteers" are known and selected before they get
that status. I think this is probably reasonable.

A second change is adding to Infrastructure the burden of maintaining the moderator list.
I'm not so sure that this is necessary.

Regards,
Dave