incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:05:13 GMT
Hi;

First of all, I am very glad seeing all this OOo developers
hired at IBM .. it's great news!!

FWIW, I've seen codebases fork under the same license and
never reunite (FreeBSD, NetBSD, and more forks coming out
of each afterwards) so while I don't say merging back LO
into OOo is impossible, it's really really difficult.

--- On Wed, 9/28/11, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you have a specific proposal for use of
> Apache-owned trademarks,
> > then you are welcome to submit it to this list.
> We can then review,
> > discuss and make a recommendation to Apache branding.
> >

> Yes it is straightforward, I have been through the process
> so I can vouch
> for it from first hand experience.
>

> > But I think reunification is more than brand
> reunification.  Simply
> > renaming LO to OOo would only confuse the users, since
> the products
> > differ in features and quality.
>

> Which is why I suggested LibO on Linux and AOO on Windows
> and Mac. Google has different brand names for Chrome on
> Windows and Linux.

What I've noticed lately is that the ASF has many projects
that relate directly to things we want to have in OOo so
I have to say the decision Oracle took to give OOo to
the Apache Foundation was the right one.

AOOo will not give up on supporting linux because it also
involves having support for Solaris, *BSD and there is
a lot of shared code with Mac and Windows.

There are, however, some things that we can't work on and
that leaves space for LibreOffice. GPL and LGPL stuff is
license X - no touch - and this does limit what we can do
with linux desktop integration since both Gnome and KDE
are GPL'd.

For now we have still a lot to do here @Apache but it's
clear to me, that there will be healthy Apache OOo.
LO can choose to join forces now, when it easier, or
join forces later, when taking code from Apache will
be more difficult. Either way.. they are welcome.

Pedro.