incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <mengualjean...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Iaccessible2 in OOo
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:47:46 GMT
Hi,

Very interesting answer, thanks:

> I say 'potentially' as the developers in the community will make it a
> priority if, and only if, it is clear there is a strong demand for IA2
> and someone leads the work and use of it. So I would encourage you to
> continue your work of letting us know of the need and also suggest you
> guide other users and developers who require IA2 support in AOO  to
> join in the discussion here. A good approach would be to get folks to
> blog about why it is important and we can post links here. That way
> the AOO community will be encouraged to work on ensuring there is an
> open and accessible Office suite available for Windows. In fact there
> may eventually be even more choice for users if AOO becomes the core
> used by other projects, as indeed it has the potential to be.

I will try doing that. But I'd like to mention one problem and several elements which make
me think I represent an enormous part of users who want IA2 to be integrated. The problem
is that I have feedbacks essentially from France or French-speaking people, and they decided
me to be intermediate between English-speaking community and them. So, they have difficulties
to write here directly. The language is a problem for the major part of them.

However, several things make me think there's a large demand:
- In the public administrations in France, where OOo is choosen, we have thousands of people
who work and who are blind or sight-impaired;
- The workgroup "Accessibilité et logiciel libre" (A11y and Free software), from April (the
main French organization which Promote the Free Software in France) asked for this evolution.
It appeared in our "bug tracker" (used to enable not English-speaking users to report problems
so that we forward, as I do now). 4 bugs appear about this issue.
- The LibreOffice project expressed the desire to wait for AOOo integration to integrate itself
IA2 in their utility.
- The problems with OOo are very often denounced on French mailing list of blind people (for
instance, ALLOS mailing list).
- The CFPSAA, an official enormous organization which defends the blind people rights, published,
this June, a newsletter where they explained that migrating a desktop to OOo was a mistake
as it's not accessible (it's a pitty! ). I tried answering and communicating about this, but
of course if such official organization has this approach, it proves the need.
- I met 60 people in France IRL a few weeks ago, to show them what free software gives to
accessibility. The cain problem where I had to fight was OOo.

Anyway I'll forward your appeal, but I'd like you to know that even if I'm alone to write,
it's a time and language problem. But thousands of people asked me to do that. It's really
major, that's why I try speaking directly to the dev today. Because when that is fixed, a
major limitation will be removed to migrating to Free software with NVDA and other assistive
technologies. If you want some tests, of course tell me. I can test, make other tests, as
intermediate.

> It's great to hear from Marcus that dev work is under way. It's up to
> us in the accessibility community to 'cheer them on'.
>
> So please do encourage the NVDA community to join in here. I'll ping
> the developers and let them know of your interest and this thread that
> you started.

Ok I'll write to NVDA too.

I stay available,

Best regards,

> Thanks again
>
> 1: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/iaccessible2
>
> Steve Lee
> OpenDirective
>
> 2011/9/27 Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <mengualjeanphi@free.fr>:
> > Ok thanks very much for this interesting answer. If you need some
> > dialogue with NVDA or Orca (Linux), and if I can help as intermediate,
> > no problem, don't hesitate. I follow the situation as I consider it's a
> > very important progress to promote better free software in general.
> >
> > Thanks for your interest.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
> >

> > Le mercredi 28 septembre 2011 à 00:05 +0200, Marcus (OOo) a écrit :
> >> Am 09/27/2011 08:58 PM, schrieb Jean-Philippe MENGUAL:
> >>
> >> Hi Jean-Philippe,

> >> thanks a lot for your effort to promote OOo. :-)

> >> That's correct.

> >> I don't know if it's already completely arrived or if there are still
> >> some things to fix before it can be integrated into the code. However,
> >> we are really working on taking advantage of the IA2 technology. Maybe
> >> Rob can say more about the current status.
> >>
> >> It's very unlikely that it will be part of the first AOO release because
> >> of this and nobody knows the side effects that could occur. So, IMHO
> >> expect it not for the coming release but for the following one.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Marcus

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL