incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:31:34 GMT
On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 13:05 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:

> > or why not just shake hands and part as friends.
> >

> Of course we can but that makes inefficient use of the resources and is less
> good for Open Source in general.

Well, as you can guess I disagree - it's only inefficient if one
doggedly holds to the idea that the two projects should (nor need to)
share a common code base going forward - by why would that be?

>   Fine strategy if we had thousands of
> developers in each project and a MS size budget.

well there isn't thousands of developers on the two projects combined
now, and as for potential developers it isn't thousands, it's millions.

> > Two projects and two applications.
> >
> > - if AOO wants to get on desktops they need to produce an application
> > that better addresses the needs of their target user base then LibO
> >

> Given the number of full time developers now at AOO it is really just a
> matter of time to get a good desktop product out.

Really - remember Chandler? Money doesn't guarantee success!

> Whether it is better or
> not than the LibO version will always be debateable.

With all due respect you are again assuming that the two applications
must retain some semblance of likeness - and again I ask, why?

>  (I suspect for most
> users it will never be more than a marginal decision since most don't use
> most of what is there now). Rather than taking the competitive option

and I feel that people in the FOSS world have a knee jerk response to
the word competition, the enemy is not mere competition, rather it is an
attitude of 'win at any cost'.

>  why
> not the cooperative? The real competition is MS Office and there are already
> other open source office suites such as Koffice to provide some diversity.
>
> - if LibO wants desktops they need to better addresses the needs of
> > their target user base then AOO.
> >

> Of course on that logic why not fork every FOSS project to increase
> competition in the market?

Not at all - this is about this situation, about this particular set of
facts on the ground, right now.

//drew