incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: [EXT][DISCUSS] Including Groovy as a scripting language
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:30:41 GMT

--- On Tue, 9/27/11, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > Another point that Rob brought would be if we need a
> SGA
> > to add the Groovy (or other) extension.
> >
> > I would think an SGA is a rather extreme thing to
> require
> > for extensions: we wouldn't require that if we want
> > include stuff like ucpp, bsh, or icu ... or dmake ;).
> >

> Again, this is a binary versus source code question.

Not really, that was clarified already. The issue now is
how to bring code into the the SVN tree.

> I thought the discussion was about bringing the groovy
> extension source code over, yes?

Yes.

> That would require taking it through the IP
> Clearance process.
> An SGA is the normal way to do this.

The PMC can require signing an SGA, I don't discuss that.

There are other ways of doing it though: people that
have signed ICLAs can bring in code under an appropriate
license and register it in the NOTICE file, and that's
about to happen as we replace copyleft components with
less restricted software.

You can't really expect opensource coders to go signing
SGAs for all the projects that want to use their code.

cheers,

Pedro.