incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <>
Subject RE: [wiki] Migration - A TerryE Clipping Collection [LONG]
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 19:25:32 GMT
--- On Thu, 9/8/11, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I see you closed INFRA-3917.

I like to clean my own mess, yes.
> Keep in mind that there appear to be others willing to
> struggle with Confluence migration (CWiki?).

That makes me very happy!

Anyone can reopen the issue: the problem I see is that
it's basically only infra@ that can do this conversion:
I have no idea if/how someone else can mirror the original
information and assuming we can get a dump (which will
likely be big) after running the conversion it has to
be uploaded in the CWiki server for review.
> A problem to consider in contingency planning: What it
> means to lock down the current wiki during conversion.
> And is the MW kept running for read-only viewing while
> conversion takes place, either bit by bit or
> wholesale?   Parallel live operation does not
> appear practical.

It depends: if the conversion script is fast and we are
not really editing our MW VM, I wouldn't worry about
locking, specially just for a test conversion. If
we see the test conversion could produce some
workable result we could use a snapshot.

I agree it will be tough but if we could rescue say
60% of the information, it would certainly be worth it.

> I think Confluence migration remains as a
> potentially-necessary Plan B or a potential following Plan A
> if needed for the long run.  The analysis TerryE
> provided suggests that it won't be easy whenever it is
> done.  I'm thinking it should not be done first if MW
> can be operated in the short term.

I agree, there's just not anything I can personally do
about it and this being about *doing* and not just
proposing I felt it was a matter of honesty to close
the issue :(.

View raw message