incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Support forums
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 04:10:17 GMT
On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 23:29 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Not everything people do needs to be scrutinized
> > to each PPMC member's satisfaction.  If you do that
> > without any concern for people's emotions you will
> > wind up with more outcomes like this one.  Some
> > things are better left up to people with enough
> > experience and expertise that minor organizational
> > problems can be "finessed" effectively without
> > major turmoil ensuing.  Part of why I offered
> > to mentor this project was to apply some of that
> > expertise here, but I feel so far my time has largely
> > been a wasted effort and am considering tossing
> > in the towel myself as a result.
> >

> The forum volunteers came out, declared that they had always been
> independent of the OpenOffice project, that they had a separate
> contractual agreement with Oracle to host the forums at OpenOffice.org
> and that they owned the content. That was what they posted to the list
> [1].
>
> Do you really think at that point, after receiving that note, it would
> be prudent to just move ahead with the migration?   Is this really a
> "minor organizational problem"?  Their note looks more like a red
> light than a green light to me.
>
> Right now, it looks like we're waiting for the forum volunteers
> discuss among themselves and come back with a proposal.

Oh for crying out loud - no that is not where we are - Christian put up
a proposal - you put up an amended version on the ML - you, I and others
then worked over a few of those points all freaking day long - I thought
moving in the right direction pretty darn well, and thought it was down
to one point, that's it and even there given posts from ASF
mentors/leaders that this was all but a done deal also.

Ok yes - I sucked in my belly and pounded on my chest..seemed right at
the time - heck it even felt good..sort of *smile*.

Otherwise - for the most part I think we have tried to answer your
questions, to explain how thing ended up the way they are currently
structured and why and have looked for ways to fit in..

So tell me what am I missing here - cause it really is starting to feel
like there is something that I've totally overlooked...

<snip>

//drew