incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:54:35 GMT
On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 15:25 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks.
>
> So would something like this work:
>
> Site admins must be PPMC members,  appointed by PPMC, with actual site
> admin assignment made by Infra.  In other words, only Infra has the
> skeleton key.

Yes I think everyone saw that as a given.

> Forum admins must be also be PPMC members, appointed  by PPMC.

Would change to:

Forum admins must be PPMC members and approved by the PPMC.

> The
> actual rights assignment could be done by a site admin, not involving
> Infra?

I think you mean the assignment is done by an existing forum admin,
therefore not requiring Inra intervention - yes? and yes. :)

> Moderators/Volunteers selected by the forum participants:
>
> 1) According to written rules which are publicly posted and approved by the PPMC

No problem with that.

> 2) Rules shall allow any PPMC member or Mentor to become a moderator
> or admin on request

I would not agree to that - any PPMC member wanting to come do the work
of answering questions, over a period of time, is free to do so just as
anyone else is free to do.

In the case of a non PPMC member if that person then desires to take on
responsibilities there is a clear way to do that - first become a
volunteer, see how the sausage is made, still want to do this and you
want to be a 'standard' moderator no problem. If they want to take on
more responsibility then they need to do a few other things,
specifically to execute all the steps necessary to be accepted into the
PPMC, and get approval from the PPMC. In the case of a PPMC member they
simply then have to do that last step.

This is not about declaring some lingering ownership rights, this a
simple case of giving a little respect to the folks actually doing the
work - I don't think this goes against anything I've read about 'the
apache way'.

- of course that works as long as the site is functioning regularly -
but if say the whole crew up and leaves or the couple of admins all die
in a plane crash on the way to, oh I don't know, maybe the:

Ohio Linux Festival - this coming weekend, Columbus Ohio :)

then of course the PPMC can and would just appoint new people a needed.

> 3) Changes to such rules require approval by the PPMC

Agreed.

> 4) No PPMC approval required for new modertors/volunteers

Agreed

> 5) But no moderator has ban rights unless also a PPMC member

Agreed

> That avoids any PPMC review except for new Admins,  and for the
> Admin/Moderator rules which your draft yourselves among the forum
> volunteers

How does that sound?

//drew