incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:45:13 GMT
On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:28 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for that Christian.
> >
> > sorry - a double post.
> >>
> >> My only real question is regarding the moderators needing to be part of
> >> the PMC - I'm not at all sure I see that need.
> >
> > just to be clear - although I would encourage mod's to be in the PMC my
> > question is about making it a hard requirement.
> >

> I'd think of it this way:
>
> We don't want a stranger to walk off the street and be immediately a
> moderator, right?

Of course not - why do you think folks would want that?

> It requires some level of vetting.

Sure -

> A moderator can
> ban users,

Not necessarily - there is the a very granular rights system in play -
not everyone with the moderator colors on their user name have the same
access levels. Hagar has a higher level then most, if not all, of the
other moderators for instance.

> they can kick real people off the boards if they do not
> like their behavior. So it is a position of authority.  A Moderator is
> an important role with real influence.  They, through their decisions,
> help set the tone of the forum and represent the "public face" of
> Apache OpenOffice.

So, it is very easy to setup a system where a 'standard' moderator can
do x but not y - in this case can not actually ban a user - they see
spam, they remove it, which automatically makes the post visible to
admins and the admin's can handle the actual banning, if so warranted.

> How do we ensure, as a project, that the right people are given that
> responsibility?  In other words, in what way does the PPMC oversee
> this?  One way would be to use the committer proposal/approval
> process.  Something less formal, is what we do with mailing list
> moderators.

*chuckling* - well, the other day when I explained how it currently
works and that when a moderator takes an action and this becomes visible
to all the others, so that we have a way for the group to self monitor
the actions of the individual I heard a bit about trust..isn't this the
same situation here?