incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:03:11 GMT
On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 09:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:10:32 -0400
> > Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Here are the roles at Apache:
> >> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles
> >>
> >> Do you have a similar list, with definitions, for the forums?
> >>
> >> It would be good to understand what you think a "Volunteer" would map
> >> to in terms of an Apache role.  Ditto for Admin and Moderator.
> >
> > On my way out the door to a meeting, so o time to read your url at present.
> >
> > Volunteers do the daily low level work of answering queires
> >
> > Moderators do Volunteer work and handle assessment of doubtful postings, with deletion
and modification powers and banning powers, all which can be subject to review by the forum
personnel

> > Admins handle the code.
> >

> So based on your definitions the mapping might be:
>
> Volunteer = Apache contributor.  This is not a title, no one is voted
> in or appointed as a contributor.  It is just what we call someone who
> contributes to the project, by submitting a patch, reporting a bug,
> contributing to an email thread, helping a user on a list, etc.
>
> Admins, since they handle code should probably be Committers in the
> project.  But it is also possible for volunteers/contributors with
> sustain and valued contributions answering questions to be voted in as
> Committers as well.
>
> Moderators -- I could see that mapping to a committer, or just being
> rights the PMC assigns to a contributor.  For example, with mailing
> lists we do not require that a list moderator be a committer.  On the
> other hand, list moderators cannot ban users, at least not so far as I
> can tell. But same thing applies here.  I'd encourage us to look at
> sustained contributions from moderators and vote them in, where
> merited, as committers and PPMC members.

Hi Rob,

One point of clarification.

Rory talked of Administrators, but did not qualify that.

Kirano, Ricardo and others are forum level administrators - this means
that they have access to the phpBB Admin Control Panel. They do not have
access to a server level account, they can not change 'the code', what
they can do is alter configuration parameters via the control panel - so
lots of check boxs and drop down lists, they can manage user accounts to
some degree, add individuals to groups and the like.

Terry and myself (for the first year or so) had one level of access
beyond that, we had actual server level access - this is a role that is
outside of the daily functioning of the forum. So we could perform
upgrades, add modifications that require code changes and such, we could
start/stop services. In this case it was clear from the start that this
would move into the ASF Infra team area of responsibility, that was
never disputed by anyone on our side of things.

I hope that helps,

//drew