incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:49:09 GMT
We currently don't provide any hosting services
at the ASF.  Everything we put up on the net is
owned and operated by the ASF (either by infra
or delegated to a project like ooo).

If the forums do wind up being hosted on ASF gear,
the legal ownership of those forums needs to be transferred
to the ASF- anybody else with a claim needs to waive it.

Practically speaking tho some of the volunteers would
need access to the machines in order to do admin work
on it, and those folks could be considered part of infra
if they are not part of the ooo project on any formal level.
And if something really does go horribly wrong with the
forums, and the ASF decides to shut down the service, barring
criminal conduct we'd probably let whomever is interested
in hosting the forums elsewhere do so.  We don't have an
anti-forum axe to grind, and have dealt with dissatisfied
projects before rather amicably.

So to answer your questions, yes it certainly could be done
within the Apache structure.  No it probably cannot be done
to host stuff here on behalf of some third party.

of the public) user level within the Apache structure?

>If the Forum continues to provide such support for OpenOffice and its various forks, including
it is to be hoped the forthcoming Apache version, which is the wish and intention of its Volunteer
corps, is there any mechanism whereby Apache might provide hosting faciltities, with suitable
disclaimers as to non liability?