incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:16:08 GMT
Well yes, but...

The point of having a policy on these matters
is to avoid turning every committer into a copyright
attorney evaluating each and every individual
contribution on their own.

The policy of this org is that anyone with a copyright
interest in code actively developed here has a signed

CLA on file with us.  While we may not apply that policy
even-handedly, it is what it is.  Yes the Apache License
covers situations where the policy has not been followed,

but whether we could get by with less is not relevant to
the policy nor its application.  What is is making some
conservative non-legally-trained judgements about what may
be safely committed without such an agreement on file.

If you aren't sure, ask the group for an opinion.  If that
is unsatisfactory, ask general@incubator or the legal-discuss@
list for help.  If it gets that far, you might be better to just
err on the conservative side and ask for a CLA anyway.  While it
is currently a bit on the onerous side to send us a signed
agreement, we are working to streamline that process to
reduce it to just clicking on a few buttons in a webform.

HTH