incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users] Re: Languages
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:43:29 GMT
Hi;

--- On Sat, 9/3/11, Dale Erwin <dale@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> Spoken like a true northern Italian bigot... with all due
> respect.
>
> Please note I did not call you a northern Italian bigot...
> I said you speak like one.  Maybe you are just
> misinformed.

I should've thought better before my original posting because
this subject touches deep fibers in people.

I am pretty aware that all italian dialects are proper
languages that predate standard italian. They are very
much alive in basically every city in Italy.

The issue is none of these languages is actually taught
in schools anymore(?) and it's usually the older people
that use them most. I have no objection to any of them
being added to OpenOffice, it's just that many of the
computer related terms (open file, print, etc) are
unlikely to change with respect to the "official"
italian.

Yes, many people argue these languages are a cultural
value and I am OK with them being preserved.

Pedro.

FWIW, .. No I am not from northern Italy.