incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:11:14 GMT
On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 16:26 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM, drew <> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 19:56 +0100, Terry Ellison wrote:

> 5) If, hypothetically, you did not have the ability to do "peer
> reviews and discussion on specific posts by named users", what would
> happen then?  Is there any particular reason why you could not have a
> public discussion about a post that you are considering deleting?
> Maybe in a forum that only moderators can post to, of course.  But is
> there any reason you could not be transparent about how moderation
> works?  This might actually help enforce what your usage expectations
> are.

I just described the process - in practice it happens quite infrequently
- the overwhelming deletes are just simple and not so simple attempts to
use the forums as a link farm.  There are people that actually run adds
for contractors to do this type of thing - and it usually takes a few
posts to catch on to what they are up to.

Simply being discourteous or rude isn't going to get you here. People
show up all the time pissed and frustrated and often blow off steam,
sometimes quite vigorously and that's fine - but if it turns into f this
and f that, and you sob this or bastards that...then quite frankly no
that will not be tolerated.

Nearly all of what a person does there is just as you described, getting
people to refine a question so it makes sense, or getting it to the
right place, or recognizing a bug report and getting it into the issue

As for trusting people, we do that in spades, it's not about trust it is
about working collaboratively. I noticed for instance that just today on
the Apache Infra mailing list, Terry had implemented something, another
person on the list rolled it back and then told Terry why - they then
discussed it - I don't think that was a matter of lack of trust, it was
a matter of them learning to work together.

View raw message