incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Forums not reachable
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:59:08 GMT

On Sep 29, 2011, at 1:54 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:00:04 +0200
> Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snipped - synopsis of the proposed move of forums to Apache>
>>
>> It is is still a confusing situation, and we finally started a draft
>> of the necessary changes:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Changes+integrate+the+forums+into+the+AOOo+project
>> but as you can see, it is incomplete and not yet voteable. Some more
>> work is required. The offline time of the boards does not help, of
>> course :(
>>
>> Hope I have expressed everything very well.
>
> Very well (and fairly) expressed, Christian.
>
> The comments by Peter Roelhofsen (floris_v on the forum) on the wiki page cited above
in general express the overall view of forum volunteers, I think; we mostly feel that trying
to impose the existing Apache structure on the forms is overkill and may stifle it.  I recommend
that the comments on the wiki page be carefully read;  note that the forum is willing to modify
its structures to fit in with Apache, but there does not seem to be a similar flexibility
on the Apache side.

We are individuals and volunteers here and some of us were busy with our paying jobs when
this all blew up on the ooo-dev ML a few weeks ago. Some may appear less flexible than others.
We are waiting for an actual proposal.

Given that http://ooo-forums.apache.org/ exists you can see that Apache Infrastructure has
done everything needed. It is up to the project to maintain and administrate the forum VM.

The technical key is the inclusion of someone to manage the instance as hosted by Apache.
If the TDF is how the Forums wish to go then it is up to them how, once known AOOo is certainly
happy to point to that location.

> The forum downtime (which I hope is being worked upon) does not help us move towards
a decision.

I would hope that the forum downtime will help the forum owners decide to actually do a move
until then the "orphaned" machines in Oracle's Hamburg office are subject to whatever events
happen without anyone watching. All we can do here is report it to our Oracle contact in California
and wait while he finds someone with the spare cycles to go find out what happened and give
the forum machine a "kick".

Regards,
Dave