incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: threading
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:07:45 GMT
I see my mail in folders listed chronologically by date received, most recent first.  There
is no indenting.  That is how I work through my inbox (I can scan through them very quickly,
looking at the preview of anything I wonder about.)

My Apache ooo-dev mail goes into a separate folder on arrival.  It is organized in the same
manner.

There is a by folder show-as-conversations option.  I have never used it.  (And it wouldn't
work on my phone anyhow, though I don't receive ooo-dev on my phone in any case.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Eike Rathke [mailto:ooo@erack.de]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: threading

Hi Dennis,

On Monday, 2011-09-05 09:34:48 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I don't generally have any way of knowing what does and does not
> influence threading.  I don't have threading in my mail client

I would be surprised if Outlook didn't have threading (on the other
hand.. it's Outlock ;-)  you just might not be aware of it. Are the
mails you see on the list really not grouped by topics and you don't see
who answers whom respectively which mail?

> I am told that touching the subject will break threading,

That was an assumption because it happened with a mail where you changed
the subject. It may be completely unrelated. Seeing now that breaking
threads is the usual way your mails arrived it probably is.

> What may have happened is I replied to my own copy rather than the one
> from the list.

That might indeed be a cause as then maybe Outlook doesn't relate the
copy to the mail on the list. Strange though because the original mail
even when copied has the necessary information in its Message-Id to
generate an In-Reply-To from, so it's just Outlook's way of treating
things badly.

I dug a bit through the mails where you did not break the thread, they
all have a header (presumably generated by Outlook) of the form
Note the / slash. All mails that break the thread also have
a Thread-Index header, but noticeably shorter and without a / slash
part. I guess the /part is some index into the thread and you replied
the breakers from the inbox and not the list folder.

> I usually delete my own copy as soon as one from the
> list appears, and that might matter.

I don't think so, but ...

> I do my best.

Keep on struggling ;-)