incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Request dev help: Info for required crypto export declaration
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 02:18:02 GMT
I think Article 32 is of particular interest in the case of OpenOffice.org distributions in
France.

It would appear that compliance with Article 30 is not difficult, since source code is available
in all cases.  It would be interesting to find out if the Apache process for declaring cryptographic
provisions would be acceptable to the Prime Minister without further ceremony.  It might be
useful for us to package notice of where the details are found in future distributions so
users could be aware that local conditions may apply to their use of such provisions.

However, I think it is likely that, so long as the LibreOffice download sites are not in the
US there is not an issue for TDF.  If there are LibreOffice mirrors in the US, that might
be reason for concern by the operators of the mirrors.  But we don't get to resolve any of
that here.

It is clear that to be an Apache Software Foundation project, the US requirements must be
satisfied in the manner specified by the ASF.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Norbert Thiebaud [mailto:nthiebaud@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 18:38
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Request dev help: Info for required crypto export declaration

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:

> Looks like LO discussed it briefly [4], but dismissed it under the
> misapprehension that since they are not in the US, the regulation is
> irrelevant.

I'm confused, how is that a 'misapprehension' exactly ?

Are you concerned about compliance with
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000000801164&dateTexte=#LEGISCTA000006136109
?

if not, why not ? are you "under the misapprehension that since [you]
are not in [France], the regulation is irrelevant." ?

Norbert