incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [proposal][www][lazy] Apache CMS Site for the Website Migration
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:01:14 GMT

I think this is a great idea.

Since this site might be exactly what is needed to serve up as from Apache
infrastructure, I suggest that there not be a production target, but just a staging target
that can be viewed and reviewed in testing but not published.

The production target could host a domain of our choosing, but quite possibly
when the DNS is moved from the current hosting to Apache hosting and incubation of migration
between (and the eventual
or whatever the development face URL becomes.

This provides a soft landing for and for further incubation as the division
is worked through.

That could be a big win with regard to continuous engagement and support of the end-user-oriented
community, allowing us to stage through integration without yanking the rug out from under in their faces.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher []
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 14:52
To: OOo-dev Apache Incubator
Subject: [proposal][www][lazy] Apache CMS Site for the Website Migration

I would like to propose the following change in approach for the migration of the
website to Apache. We should split the site svn tree into two separate trees. This will allow
us to quickly address the divergent license, copyright, and footer issues with clarity and
without working against the Apache CMS's framework.

Mixing the migration with the incubator site as subfolders is now a plroblem.
I realized I was about to bloody my forehead - bash my head against a wall.

Here are the details.

(1) Split the current ooo/site/trunk/ and create ooo/ooosite/trunk/. Move all of the
migrated content to the ooo/ooosite/ site tree. Each site will now have its own templates/skeleton.html
with correct license headers, copyrights, and terms.

(2) Request that infrastructure attach the new ooo/ooosite/ tree to the cms buildbot and webgui.
If Infrastructure is willing I propose -

If it must start as part of the incubator then

(3) Every AOOo committer will be enabled to use the Apache CMS's webgui to make edits in order
to align the site's policies to the new project. It has been confirmed that it is possible
to edit the source html in the WebGUI / Bookmarklet. As Dennis has written these should be

(4) No changeover of the current until the project agrees.

I'll start the tree splitting process this Friday in 72 hours allowing plenty of time for
comments and consensus.

View raw message