incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:16:55 GMT
I wondered about Issues too.  There were similar issues in the previous report (although the
full title had not been used).

I added the title that was called for, because it is about awareness, not requests for action,
on the notion that when the podling recognizes this, the IPMC and Board knows the podling
has concerns to deal with and is doing its job.  I also prefer to avoid potential surprises
later.

(Still reading the thread here ...)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:04
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I have posted a draft for review on the wiki and below.  Changes and improvements can
be made on the Wiki page.  If you propose to modify the page, please make it known here so
that collisions can be avoided.

> Suggestions here will be selectively incorporated into the Wiki page.  The deadline is
Wednesday, 2011-09-14.
[ ... ]
> * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness
>
> The code base pulled over from OpenOffice.org is undergoing development while incompatible
notices remain on the granted code.  This is separate from the scrubbing of dependencies on
incompatibly-licensed material.  RECOMMENDATION: Continue OpenOffice monthly reporting for
another quarter while IP cleanup is pending.

> The current committers are not equipped to fully resource the migration of OpenOffice.org
sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because
of resource and support limitations.   Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding
systems is not resourced at all.  The ability to make anticipatory modifications of OpenOffice.org
in preparation for staging is also limited, with volunteer support and administration of the
live system possibly eroding.

> Discussions with contributors of current user-oriented documentation have broken off;
 it is likely that the status quo will continue to be with user-guide contributions made separately
and under licenses the authors prefer.  This is not an immediate issue unless replacement
with ALv2 licensed materials is urgent.  Having updated user-guides reflecting details and
features of future Apache releases is worrisome.

I think the above misses the point of this section of the report.  The
IPMC and the ASF Board are not project managers overseeing the
progress of the podling's work.  They are not concerned about
"resourcing" the effort. That is our concern, the PPMC.  We need to
deal with it.

This should be the place to raise any issues that we have that the ASF
Board or IPMC can actually deal with.  Merely noting that work is hard
is not really a useful insight.

[ ... ]