incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:16:55 GMT
<orcmid>
I've responded to your questions in-line.
</orcmid>

With regard to detail, this is probably the longest report already.  For context, look at
the complete set of reports so far,

<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2011>.

They tend to the terse.

Previous monthly reports since the Apache OOo Podling has been reporting are these:

<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2011> and
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2011>.

Thanks Don, all of your questions are valuable.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Whytock [mailto:dwhytock@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:09
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)

I'd like to suggest this be more detailed, so it's clear where the
problems are.  That way it's easier to determine what ASF can provide
that isn't provided already.

>>> The current committers are not equipped to fully resource the migration of
>>> OpenOffice.org sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.

Does "current committers" refer to people working on the Oracle site,
or the current pool of committers in the podling?

<orcmid>
Current committers are the committers on the podling. I can say "podling committers."  The
IPMC and Board will understand.
</orcmid>

Does "resource" mean supply time, gain access, provide equipment, have skill?
<orcmid>
I meant resources in terms of what the Project itself, those of us on the PPMC and ooo-dev,
are equipped to bring to bear.  I will get the buzzword out of there.  It is all of the above
except for provide equipment and running platforms. Apache Infrastructure has provided the
necessaries.
</orcmid>

>>>  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because of resource and support
>>> limitations.

Is this preservation of the wiki in its current form because the
Oracle servers are going away?   Preservation of the wiki data because
it's not being done in a timely manner?
<orcmid>
Preservation of the wiki relates to our capability in terms of available expertise.  There
is a functioning test instance, but some fixes are needed.  It is a MediaWiki and there is
no identified expertise in server-level and configuration work available to the project.
</orcmid>

>>>  Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding systems
>>> is not resourced at all.

"Resourced" as in people designated/volunteering to do it, no
comparable Apache facility, no plan, no access?
<orcmid>
Yes on all of that, although Apache facilities are generally not the issue so long as able
people volunteering are available to determine what facilities are required.  That is a project
responsibility.
</orcmid>

>>>  The ability to make anticipatory modifications
>>> of OpenOffice.org in preparation for staging is also limited, with
>>> volunteer support and administration of the live system possibly eroding.

Specific problems with access, skill level, available people, timetable?
<orcmid>
Yes, and here it has to do with the live site on Oracle systems.  Although there is a fear
of Oracle pulling the plug, I don't believe that is imminent.  On the other hand, working
with Oracle for how long there system needs to be up so staging can be risk-managed would
be good.  That may be happening.  It is not visible and I suspect the project needs to identify
its needs in a practical way.
</orcmid>

Am I overestimating what has to be in a podling report?
<orcmid>
I think precision is called for, and your questions help with that.  There's not a lot of
quantitative detail.  There are no charts, numbers, and roadmaps to point at, though there
are proposed pieces on the OOOUSER Wiki.
</orcmid>

Don