incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:16:55 GMT
I've responded to your questions in-line.

With regard to detail, this is probably the longest report already.  For context, look at
the complete set of reports so far,

They tend to the terse.

Previous monthly reports since the Apache OOo Podling has been reporting are these:

<> and

Thanks Don, all of your questions are valuable.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Whytock []
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:09
Subject: Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (

I'd like to suggest this be more detailed, so it's clear where the
problems are.  That way it's easier to determine what ASF can provide
that isn't provided already.

>>> The current committers are not equipped to fully resource the migration of
>>> sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.

Does "current committers" refer to people working on the Oracle site,
or the current pool of committers in the podling?

Current committers are the committers on the podling. I can say "podling committers."  The
IPMC and Board will understand.

Does "resource" mean supply time, gain access, provide equipment, have skill?
I meant resources in terms of what the Project itself, those of us on the PPMC and ooo-dev,
are equipped to bring to bear.  I will get the buzzword out of there.  It is all of the above
except for provide equipment and running platforms. Apache Infrastructure has provided the

>>>  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because of resource and support
>>> limitations.

Is this preservation of the wiki in its current form because the
Oracle servers are going away?   Preservation of the wiki data because
it's not being done in a timely manner?
Preservation of the wiki relates to our capability in terms of available expertise.  There
is a functioning test instance, but some fixes are needed.  It is a MediaWiki and there is
no identified expertise in server-level and configuration work available to the project.

>>>  Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding systems
>>> is not resourced at all.

"Resourced" as in people designated/volunteering to do it, no
comparable Apache facility, no plan, no access?
Yes on all of that, although Apache facilities are generally not the issue so long as able
people volunteering are available to determine what facilities are required.  That is a project

>>>  The ability to make anticipatory modifications
>>> of in preparation for staging is also limited, with
>>> volunteer support and administration of the live system possibly eroding.

Specific problems with access, skill level, available people, timetable?
Yes, and here it has to do with the live site on Oracle systems.  Although there is a fear
of Oracle pulling the plug, I don't believe that is imminent.  On the other hand, working
with Oracle for how long there system needs to be up so staging can be risk-managed would
be good.  That may be happening.  It is not visible and I suspect the project needs to identify
its needs in a practical way.

Am I overestimating what has to be in a podling report?
I think precision is called for, and your questions help with that.  There's not a lot of
quantitative detail.  There are no charts, numbers, and roadmaps to point at, though there
are proposed pieces on the OOOUSER Wiki.

View raw message