incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: my next (tiny) steps - clean up regarding stuff which is not conform to the Apache license
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:56:02 GMT
ODMA.h would not be a contribution to Apache.  It would be an updated file with a BSD-license
adaptation notice and an AIIM Copyright Notice.  (Only my urologist gets to do cavity searches.)

If I spiffed up the files and reference code that are actually needed to have a production-quality
application be ODMA-aware, I would put those under an ALv2.  I would also use appropriate
NOTICE about AIIM and the original work that my derivatives are based on.  At least one of
the multiple header files I use is a derivative work, so I would have to deal with that.
You'd have to squint real hard to see the others as derivative works, but I think it would
be cool to acknowledge the AIIM origin anyhow.

These would be published to a SourceForge project that I already have.  Reliance on them by
Apache OOo or any other Apache project can be by the usual third-party incorporation procedure.
 I will make sure that the provenance is as clean as it can possibly be.

I have no desire to take their availability to Apache projects any farther than that. I see
no reason to donate the code to Apache OOo since that is not the right place to maintain it.

 - Dennis

SOME ANALYSIS:

I think the odds are low that this would be of interest to Apache OOo, since ODMA does not
fit the folder-oriented model that the UNO server uses to access documents in repositories.
 ODMA actually takes a different level of integration.  ODMA can be thought of as a hybrid
of ODBC and TWAIN (remember that one?).  One peculiarity of its integration model (out of
many) is that it produces modal dialogs against the application's window handle.  This made
the Java integration I undertook quite thrilling.  Oh, and it is not Unicode enabled.  That
should be enough to indicate why this is not low-hanging fruit.  Also, it only works on Windows.
 I count at least 4 strikes right there.

I have some blog posts that go into further details, if anyone is that curious.

 - Dennis