incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <hims...@orcmid.com>
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:25:49 GMT
Comments in-line

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 09:59
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I am changing the topic of this branch of the discussion.
>
> I am worried about some problems with mailing lists and migration of OpenOffice.org.
 If the problems are allowed, it should be on purpose.

> I suggest discussing those problems before the situation is made worse.  I will move
this topic to the OOOUSER wiki on the weekend.

> PERSONAL CONCERN:
>
>  1. The current list arrangement is technically superior to what is proposed for replacement.

Could be be more specific about what you think is technically superior
about the existing approach?  And by that I assume you mean the 332
existing OOo mailing lists?

<orcmid>
I will do that on the wiki page where this kind of enumeration can be laid out and revised
better.  I already suggest culling, below, but starting there, not by a forced-fit here.
</orcmid>

>  2. Shutting down the resources of a community and expecting that community to migrate
itself onto an alternative will deteriorate if not completely lose the participation of that
community.

Is this really true?  Have you looked at recent traffic on
ooo-dev@i.a.o versus dev@oo.o, for example?
<orcmid>Yes, I have been looking at the content too.  That concerns me more.</orcmid>

And was your dire prediction true of LibreOffice?  I don't think so.

<orcmid>
I don't think the situation is comparable. I also note that LibreOffice has a small number
of mailing lists and I believe there are only mailing lists.  A lot of work is done on IRC,
at least among developers.
</orcmid>

Certainly there is a tipping point, when a critical mass of
participants move over from one list to another.  That takes time.
This is encouraged by giving a consistent message about the migration,
something we've failed to do so far.  For example, even after we
agreed to create ooo-users, I see you talking about this, on that list
and elsewhere, as a mistake.  That is not helping.

<orcmid>No comment</orcmid>

-Rob

[ ... ]