incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 23:29:02 GMT
Well, there are no mentors to tell them to put it on a public Forum.  It is not an Apache undertaking
yet.

I admire them for keeping this discussion off of the general boards because it would doubtless
disturb those they serve as much as it disturbs people who watch us conduct ourselves here.

I don't suggest we change, *here*, because the rules are plain enough for anyone who cares
to know what they are.

I have never been an active member on any public-facing forum system that did not have a structure
such as that which has been described to us.  I had not remarked on it until now that there
are questions about it.  I also only knew about it when I was granted administration privileges
myself, sort of like being invited to be a committer here [;<).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 08:52
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:45:31 -0400
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't think discussions about how the project is run is something
>> that we should be doing in private.  Discussing such matters, even if
>> strong opinions are raised, is the essence of transparency.  Remember,
>> controversial is not the same as confidential.  In Apache projects we
>> discuss non-confidential matters openly.
>
> As far as I recollect, the "private discussions" referred to were those concerned with
moderation decisions, which decisions were reviewed by the volunteers on a private channel
on the Forum.

Your information is incomplete then.  Earlier in the thread Terry said
that there were ongoing discussions in the private forum that
paralleled this discussion.  I assume you are aware of that thread?

> There are three private channels open to me on the http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
as a Volunteer - Delete Topics, which is a holding channel to permit undeleting of a posting
(held for three days), EN Forum issues and "Server - Site Governance".  In these two latter
channels suggestions or queries were channeled to Terry concerning code alteration and other
technical matters, and governance queries were raised, as, for example, review of suspicious
activity of a given poster, or reconsideration of the actions of a moderator. All other discussions
take place in public.