incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: A systematic approach to IP review?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:32:07 GMT
I agree that there is no escape from managing down to the individual file.  It is a question
of organization now, where the entire base is involved.

Later, if the svn:property is to be trusted, the problem is quite different, it seems to me.
 Plus the rules are understood and provenance and IP are likely handled as anything needing
clearance enters the code base.  What is done to ensure a previously-vetted code base has
not become tainted strikes me as a kind of regression/smoke test.

It is in that regard that I am concerned the tools for this one-time case need not be the
same as for future cases.

And, since I am not doing the work in the present case, I am offering this as something to
think about, not a position.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 09:55
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: A systematic approach to IP review?

[ ... ]

The granularity we need to worry about is the file.  That is the
finest grain level of having a license header.  That is the unit of
tracking in SVN.  That is the unit that someone could have changed the
content in SVN.

Again, it is fine if someone wants to outline this at the module
level.  But that does not eliminate the requirement for us to do this
at the file level as well.

[ ... ]