incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:19:29 GMT
I am changing the topic of this branch of the discussion.

I am worried about some problems with mailing lists and migration of OpenOffice.org.  If the
problems are allowed, it should be on purpose.

I suggest discussing those problems before the situation is made worse.  I will move this
topic to the OOOUSER wiki on the weekend.

PERSONAL CONCERN:

 1. The current list arrangement is technically superior to what is proposed for replacement.

 2. Shutting down the resources of a community and expecting that community to migrate itself
onto an alternative will deteriorate if not completely lose the participation of that community.

TO CONSIDER:

Preservation of the existing mailing lists and their services; the means for doing so.

Migration of the existing mailing list services and content onto Apache hosting along with
OpenOffice.org hosting.

Restoration of moderation and support of the lists themselves.

Within the existing structure and subscriber community of each NL group: simplification, consolidation,
or retirement (with preservation) of existing lists that are redundant, inactive, or too specialized
to sustain.

Adjustment of the operational support to satisfy ASF requirements for oversight and accountability.

Transfer of lists to different services and operation only when loss of functionality and
community disruption is minimized.

Automatic continuation of the established community and subscriptions on any migration onto
different list systems.

Involvement and engagement of the existing NL group community in each step of the way.  Minimize
avoidable disaffection.

 - Dennis