incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [ooo-user] was RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 01:29:02 GMT
+1

I like that fixed-footer idea a great deal.  Please go for it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:apache@robweir.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 16:48
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ooo-user] was RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 08:35, Dennis E. Hamilton <himself@orcmid.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, so the problem in the case of the list is that it is a broadcast medium, and
someone can be expected to not practice safe unzipping.  Got it.

>> OK, no attachments.
>>

> There is also the issue that even if the attachments are safe, a
> mailing list distributes them to hundreds of people who have no need
> for them and don't want to receive them. On a forum, it's different;
> you can get or not as you choose.
>
> So IMO, no attachments on a *user* list.

Good point.  Maybe we can get a fixed footer to occur on the user list
emails, just 2 or 3 lines giving the most important info that could
help reduce frustration and increase the signal/noise ratio.  Things
like:

1) How to unsubscribe to the list

2) Where to report bugs

3) Where the support forums are

4) File attachments not supported, so here's where to go to share a file

We could also put that info in the original welcome note that is sent
to new subscribers. But that note always gets lost.  Better to put the
info right in each note.