incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: threading Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:34:48 GMT
Daniel,

I don't generally have any way of knowing what does and does not influence threading.  I don't
have threading in my mail client and I don't use an alternative, such as a newsgroup service,
so it is difficult to know how I do or don't do disturbs threading.

I am told that touching the subject will break threading, so I don't do that as much as I
would like to when we have drifted considerably from some non-specific subject, like this
one has.  I can't even add or restore a category without objection.

I also don't normally see the SMTP headers, although I can find them with moderate effort.
 I can't influence the outgoing headers though.

What may have happened is I replied to my own copy rather than the one from the list.  I usually
delete my own copy as soon as one from the list appears, and that might matter.

There are a couple of other things I should watch out for as well.  I think if I re-open a
post in my Outbox to correct something, that might lose the reply thread too.  Also, if I
had to save a draft for continuing later, that might lose the reply thread.  I don't know.

Generally, it is very difficult to honor an etiquette the effects of which are invisible to
me.  For me, the list arrives chronologically in a separate folder that I filter it to and
that is all that I know about it.

I do my best.

 - Dennis