incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:23:55 GMT
I suspect that one reason that the private discussions Terry mentions are in private is that
the administrators there do not want to scare the regular users of the forum, especially since
there has been little concrete information over there from here.  (And the barrier to coming
over here is, in my opinion, quite pronounced.)

I think the only mailing list we *have* to have is ooo-dev because it is used where deliberation,
concensus, and balloting are developed, and that has to happen on a list to have happened.

I am not suggesting we limit ourselves to one list. It is clear from my nosing around on the
lists and forums on openoffice.org that, while there is some overlap of participation, folks
who use one are generally uninterested in the other and unaware/uninterested in what might
be under discussion on the other.  In my limited wanderings, I find the separation quite startling.
 And each subcommunity (because that's what they mainly are, just like a social subculture)
currently fears that they are going to be displaced or lost in the move to Apache governance.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 07:46
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/11 15:15, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Terry Ellison<Terry@ellisons.org.uk>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> A few days ago, I made the statement below and received a generally
>>> robust
>>> and unapologetic response.  I don't want to rehash this again, but this
>>> tipped the balance for me and I decided to finish off my work with Apache
>>> and hand over.  What has somewhat surprised me and this is the issue that
>>> want to flag up the the PPMC in this note, is the volume and tone of the
>>> general responses that I received when I let the forums know of my
>>> decision
>>> to hand over and stand down.
>>>
>> I don't see anything recent from you on the forums.  Can you send a
>> link to your note and the responses?  It is much better to get first
>> hand information, I think, then to have it filtered through someone
>> else.
>
> We tend not to "wash our dirty linen" in public so these discussions go on
> on the closed forums.  That's one of the reasons why I recommended that PPMC
> members should request Community Volunteer status to have such access.  Of
> course quite a few DL members and some PPMC members already have Community
> Volunteer status.   I don't know if you've noticed, but they've gone rather
> quiet of late.  //T

I don't think discussions about how the project is run is something
that we should be doing in private.  Discussing such matters, even if
strong opinions are raised, is the essence of transparency.  Remember,
controversial is not the same as confidential.  In Apache projects we
discuss non-confidential matters openly.

-Rob