incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:24:18 GMT
Who says there are "wrong" tools?  Turning this into right and wrong is just crazy.

There are different tools.  There are some protocols involved that are mainly invisible to
us.  The wonder that e-mail works at all is that it works well enough despite the fact that
no sender can know what the expectations of all of the recipients can be, but there are apparently
some recipients who insist on having it delivered their way (or are puzzled when it isn't
and often can't explain it to the sender, who has no idea what the problem is).

If I were using my phone for e-mail, something that some folks think is inevitable, it would
be impossible to satisfy these receiver-imposed requirements.  There are many clients that
don't quote at all and it is hard to make them do it.

There are also difficulties because the implementers of intermediaries (such as list servers
and their archives and digest composers and NNTP synthesizers ...) have their own ideas about
what is "right" and don't always deal with the abstractions at the best places.  That makes
the folks at the end points even more mystified.

The complexity and the different seams in this situation is worth having a powerful understanding
of.  I am disappointed that in two settings, now, I am running into this yet in 30 years on
e-mail, lists, and NNTP I have never encountered it before.  That amazes me.  It has never
come up on the OASIS Technical Committee lists, even though the list-archive presentation
of web posts is terrible.  (I want to inflict incredible pain on the clown who thinks plaintext
e-mail should be rendered in <pre> and not <p> elements, even when it is obvious
that hard line breaks are not being used.  I guess I could start sending my mail in HTML format.
 I wonder what that would do to this conversation.)

 - Dennis