incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOOo can't save passwort protected file
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:47:13 GMT
I use a series of older versions as part of my document forensics work.  In particular, I keep
ODF 1.1 processors around.

It happened that it is the default application in the same VM where I have OOo-dev 3.4 installed.
 So it opened by accident on a double-click where I was testing for the Save As with Password
problem, to see if it existed in OOo-dev 3.4.

So I found a down-level regression by happy accident.  And that had me learn that the OOo-dev
3.4 uses AES encryption by default, which no ODF 1.0/1.1 client will recognize, nor will many
ODF 1.2 apps not built to recognize anything more than the default encryption (there being
no requirement that they do otherwise).

To confirm how much down-version breakage there might be I tried these:

LibreOffice 3.4.2 fails on the document in exactly the same way that OO.o 2.4.1 does.

So does Lotus Symphony 3.0.0 FP3.

So maybe the first Apache OO.o release should not switch from the default encryption algorithm
so hastily.

 - Dennis