incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 05:42:19 GMT
Jean, I am all right with whatever scope an list name you agree on.

I assume you will a moderator (which is great since you are in Australia).  I'll support you
as another moderator.  If we get one moderator from Europe along with any others that raise
their hands, we will have straddled the globe pretty nicely.

Moderation is pretty easy as well as I can tell.

I'll provide the e-mail address to use for me when you are ready to request the list.

Also, I don't think moderators are required to be committers, so this is an opportunity for
others here to contribute in an unusual way.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Weber [mailto:jeanweber@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 22:11
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Legacy OOo list post stats

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 14:28, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> To help prioritize the list migration efforts, I've collected numbers
>> from the legacy OOo lists.  Looking at 2011 posts, year to date, these
>> are the average posts/day for the most-used lists.
>>
>  <snip>
>
> I've created an updated version of this list, looking at the time
> period from Feb 2010 to the present.  That encompasses the releases
> cycles for 3.2.1 and 3.3, as well as the 3.4 beta, so it should have a
> fairer representation of all lists involved within a release cycle.
>
> I've put the top 100 lists on the wiki, in a table.  I'm hoping we can
> map these to the equivalent Apache list or identify where additional
> lists may be required.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists
>
> I've taken a first pass over a random selection of the lists.  Nothing
> set in stone, but maybe it will provoke a discussion that helps us
> understand this better.
>
> One question I have, after seeing the list, was what purpose was
> served by the de.dev, fr.dev, fi,dev, etc.  Were these lists used
> specifically for i10n related development, such as proofing tools,
> number, date/time, currency formatting code, etc.? Or were these
> general lists for discussions related to core development, held in the
> developer's native language?

IMO, documentation.dev can be mapped to ooo-dev. That list was used
for policy and infrastructure discussions, which would fit well on
ooo-dev.

I would like to see user-faq.authors mapped to ooo-userdocs, for
reasons stated earlier, so I shall endeavour to find several
moderators and a core group of list members. The list certainly
fulfills the criterion of discussion on the legacy OOo list.

If anyone reading this note would like to offer to be a moderator,
please speak up!

--Jean