incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOOo can't save passwort protected file
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:24:44 GMT
I agree that the OO.o 2.4.1 being unable to open the document is not this problem.

It is an indication that something is occurring in the OOo-dev 3.4 package that breaks down-level
compatibility for no apparent reason, and a separate issue (not yet investigated).

I FOUND IT: Beside using <manifest:manifest> manifest:version="1.2",
OOO-dev 3.4 uses aes256-cbc as the encryption algorithm.  That is going to fail in any down-level
implementation that does not support this allowed but not default encryption.

SUGGESTED TEST:

To see if the Save As with Password problem is related to choice of encryption method (and
what may or may not be in the build), I suggest trying the Save As with Password after changing
Tools | Options | Load/Save | General | ODF format version from 1.2 Extended to 1.2,
and if that still fails, try ODF format 1.0/1.1 also.

(I can't run that build, or I would do this myself.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Bircher [mailto:r.bircher@gmx.ch]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 01:01
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: AOOo can't save passwort protected file

Hi Dennis

Thank you for the test too

Am 16.09.11 03:19, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> I can't confirm with an AOOo Build, but I did check the OOO-dev 3.4 on win32 to see if
the problem existed previously.  I was able to password protect (encrypt) a simple Writer
document.  It saved and opened fine (after I gave the password again.
So this is maybe a regression
> What was interesting to me was that OO.o 2.4.1 (Novell Edition) failed to open the document
and never got to recognizing that it was encrypted.  I got a bad XML message, suggesting that
an encrypted file was being mistakenly opened without decryption first.
I think, that has nothing to do with it.

Greetings Raphael