incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Apache Way community moderation rationale
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:44:19 GMT
+1

I completely support the high-level migration road-map you sketch for artifacts and services
currently in custody of the openoffice.org domain sites and not part of the Oracle SGA.

In the final paragraph, though, perhaps you meant to say

" Given the past history and the fact that this
non-code content is not currently under an *apache.org* domain, it is
possible to technically migrate a lot of stuff without having finalized
the policy issues.  (Note: source code and items under apache.org
domains are different, and should discuss policy issues sooner rather
than later)."

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Curcuru [mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 07:23
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Apache Way community moderation rationale

[ ... ]

----
NOTE: OOo is a huge project with a very diverse set of well-known
services, and, like, a LOT of users.  To graduate to a top level project
will require significant changes to how some of these services are
provided in the future under any Apache marks or domain names.

Given the scale and breadth of services, and the changes in community, I
think it's appropriate to plan on plenty of time to make the complete
migrations of these services.  Likewise, I believe it may be permissible
to take over hosting some services in the technical sense under the
openoffice.org domain - in the short term - that we might not normally
consider as managed fully by the Apache Way yet.

One way to think about services migration - to separate out policy
dependencies from technical ones - is:

- Ensure several PPMC members have root / admin / whatever level of
access is required to give them oversight, so they can review behavior
on the service. (first!)

- Technically port the service to apache hardware (but not under an
apache.org domain yet)

- Apply branding updates to the service

- Decide final policy issues for moderation, etc. for the service

Does that make sense?  Given the past history and the fact that this
non-code content is not currently under an openoffice.org domain, it is
possible to technically migrate a lot of stuff without having finalized
the policy issues.  (Note: source code and items under apache.org
domains are different, and should discuss policy issues sooner rather
than later)

- Shane