incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: How do we want to announce new Committers/PPMC members
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:24:48 GMT
-1

Not all committers make contributions to the code base.
it is emphasized here in other discussions that committers need not
be developers but contributors in some other way.  See the discussion
about Forums administration, for example.  Commit messages are an
unreliable indicator as Ross points out and it becomes a heavyweight
task to track them.

 - Dennis

(In addition, not all commit messages are actions by committers)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@opendirective.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:03
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: How do we want to announce new Committers/PPMC members

On 29 September 2011 19:00, Tor Lillqvist <tml@iki.fi> wrote:
> Perhaps instead of announcements of new committers, announcements of
> actual commits (more than just one) from somebody who hasn't committed
> earlier would be interesting...

-0

When a patch is committed the commit message should contain "(issue
xyz - thanks to Jane Blogs)" The commit mail gets sent to a commit
list and thus there is already a process for this in place. No harm in
someone doing a separate thank you but if someone gets missed or the
volunteer is busy it can leave people feeling left out.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)