incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:48:48 GMT
Everyone replies with what works naturally for them and assumes that my world is the same.

So, is the idea that all of should live in the one true silo, so long as it is not Microsoft.

I have tools I am happy and effective with, and then I'm insulted for it.

Why would I want to continue keeping such company and suffering the opportunity cost of these
raggings?  Are there not more important shared interests than this?

Is this what mentoring amounts to?

 - Dennis

Tick, tick, tick ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lynch [mailto:ianrlynch@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 05:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Top posting is bad

	From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@opendirective.com]
	Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 01:47
	To:�ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
	Subject: Top posting is bad

	At the risk of starting a flame-war I am going to state that
	top-posting is bad on publicly archived mailing lists. Can we please
	stop doing it?

�

	<snip>

�

	--
	Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
	Programme Leader (Open Development)

On 30 September 2011 13:18, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

	The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
	mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
	everyone. �I already *manually* truncate lines to match the
	line-width of the sender.

Hi Dennis, I'm on Gmail and it is quite easy to top post accidentally :-). Gmail hides a lot
of the quoted text anyway unless you want to see it.�

On the other hand I think having a convention we all try to stick to is a good idea simply
because it provides consistency and predictability. I'd hate to think that this was something
that would get to such a point you would leave given the amount of hard graft you put in.
It's not that important. �Surely it isn't too difficult, though, to post sequentially. Took
me all of 5 seconds to rearrange the order of your post in reply to Ross in this mail and
chop out most of the text :-). Really this whole issue gets blown out of proportion, but I'd
say if it's not a big imposition let's just go with the flow.�
--
Ian
www.theINGOTs.org�+44 (0)1827 305940