incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 17:27:14 GMT
1. Yes, the condensation within language groups is a good idea.

2. I meant the dual-language posts in the case where we notify folks on the NL groups about
the English language ooo-*.i.a.o lists now.  And I meant for notices on the current NL lists.
 I think another thing to include in such notices, if we made them, is to indicate where progress
information (albeit in English) on migration and other matters can be found (including users@openoffice.org
for now).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:17
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Legacy OOo list post stats

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Interesting data.
>
> I think we should let the NL lists know about the English-language counterparts on i.a.o,
using the native language if possible, but I don't think we should regard our en lists as
substitutes.

[ ... ]

2) Functionalist and NL lists but not matrixed.  So ooo-dev, ooo-doc,
ooo-private, etc. but then ooo-general-fr, ooo-general-de,
ooo-general-jp, etc.

The thing that recommends approach #2 is that we have seen how a
single list --- ooo-dev -- can handle 60 posts/day, so long as we are
sensitive to thread drift, using subject tags, not posting
unnecessarily, etc. So it should be possible to have the NL languages
on general lists without too much difficulty.  We're doing that in
English, right?

> The only safe way I know to do that would be to have a simple-English statement for all
of them and then prepend a native language equivalent to each one posted.  We can try Google
translator unless we have someone here who can do that better as an user of the native language.

> I also wouldn't post to any of those non-English lists until we can figure out whether
they have an administrator actually in attendance and posting won't create more problems than
it solves.

If we create language-specific general lists, that would solve the
problem right? The moderators of the general lists could be
responsible for contacting the relevant legacy OOo lists, and helping
them move over.  This could include sharing information on the other
project lists that are in English.