incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:58:35 GMT
Interesting data.

I think we should let the NL lists know about the English-language counterparts on i.a.o,
using the native language if possible, but I don't think we should regard our en lists as
substitutes.

The only safe way I know to do that would be to have a simple-English statement for all of
them and then prepend a native language equivalent to each one posted.  We can try Google
translator unless we have someone here who can do that better as an user of the native language.

I also wouldn't post to any of those non-English lists until we can figure out whether they
have an administrator actually in attendance and posting won't create more problems than it
solves.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 09:41
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Legacy OOo list post stats

To help prioritize the list migration efforts, I've collected numbers
from the legacy OOo lists.  Looking at 2011 posts, year to date, these
are the average posts/day for the most-used lists.

I've arbitrarily cut-off the lost at lists having more than one post
every other day.  There are 332 lists overall that I could find, most
of them getting little to no traffic.   To put these numbers in
perspective note that our ooo-dev list averages 59 posts per day. So
we know what that traffic feels like.   If we add up all of the top
100 OOo lists, excluding the Bugzilla notifications, they add up to 62
posts/day average.

So I think this argues strongly for list consolidation.  Direct all
user-related lists to ooo-users and project-related lists to ooo-dev.

List Posts/day
org.openoffice.allbugs	54.8
org.openoffice.users	9.0
org.openoffice.de.users	7.9