incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:18:12 GMT
The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
everyone.  I already *manually* truncate lines to match the
line-width of the sender.  I prefer text flow of paragraphing
among those whose clients and list archives handle it properly.
So I do not turn on hard line-chopping.  I am doing it manually
right now to be polite.  I appreciate that people don't complain
when I fail to do that here.

To tell me to not to top post from a client that doesn't have ">"
marking turned on or even available just makes a mess.  See how
Ross's post appears to me and consider what would happen if I
blithely commented in line.

LibreOffice users have this flame war monthly.  I get schooled by
NoOp regularly.  If it happens here, I am freakin' leavin'.

Also, the fact that not everyone reads the archive the same way,
but use NNTP synthesizers, such as GMane, just creates mystery
meat for those of us who have no idea what those users are seeing
(or producing).  To then be schooled by them is unacceptable.

Also, there has already been the discussion about thread
preservation (even though people continue threads without
changing topics so it is hardly a reliable process anyhow).

[People who use NNTP readers see the threads in expando-views and
have no need for the context, so they are infuriated by the
repetition.  There are clueless ones who think there is some sort
of statutory requirement to keep full threads, even though this is
an archived list and that is subject to all the discovery one would
care to be exposed to.]

"bad" may be "unpleasant for you" but how about looking at the
interoperability challenges and not encouraging belief that there
is a silver-bullet, one-size fits all fiat when the only thing
that works is civility.

[NOTE: This post has been filtered to incivility level -3.  Your
mileage may vary.  No neutrinos were harmed in the making of this
post.  Good luck if your required line-width is narrower than this.]

 - Dennis