incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Should w merge discuss@ooo into ooo-users.i.a.o ?
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:53:46 GMT
I agree that participants on discuss@oo.o should be invited to come to ooo-users@i.a.o.

Can we be more diplomatic in our announcements over there?  The one at users@oo.o on creation
of the ooo-users@i.a.o list did not go over very well and was a lightning rod for some vocal
participants there.

This is rather disturbing to me because it doesn't all depend on actions under the Apache
Software Foundation.  I also don't believe we have an agreed outcome on any preservation of
the openoffice.org operation and having either a brute-force or a gentler migration approach.
 So that announcement was perhaps too heavy-handed, asserting facts not [yet] in evidence.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Junge [mailto:peter.junge@gmx.org]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 20:57
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Should w merge discuss@ooo into ooo-users.i.a.o ?

On 03.09.2011 11:00, Rob Weir wrote:
> I've been going through the archives of the existing
> users@openoffice.org and discuss@openoffice.org.  I cannot tell them
> apart.  They cover the kinds of questions and topics.  Maybe at some
> point in the past the project had distinct visions for each list.  But
> this differences are blurred beyond detection now, at least to me.

community to discuss about the community, hence both focusing on a
different topic and addressing a different audience. Over the years
discuss@ooo indeed became something like users2@ooo.

[...]

> Since we've recently set up the ooo-users@i.a.o, I think it makes
> sense to ask users from both users@ooo and discuss@ooo to move to
> ooo-users.  In doing so we avoid unnecessarily fragmenting community
> discussions.

That would make sense, at least for those who are used to discuss
support topics at discuss@ooo. The few others should be happy with ooo-dev.

Peter