incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOOo can't save passwort protected file
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:25:45 GMT
Rob,

 1. There is no requirement in ODF 1.2 for consumers and producers to support anything but
the default Blowfish with 8-bit CFB.

 2. While producing and consuming aes256 is allowed in the specification, there is not even
a "should" with respect to it.

 3. Unilateral change to only producing aes256 when the save mode is 1.2 or 1.2 extended breaks
all versions of earlier releases of OO.o, including earlier 3.x ones.  It also breaks code
on other releases based on the OO.o code base (LibreOffice through 3.4.3, Symphony through
3 fixpack3, etc.).

 4. If aes256 were to be produced, it should be at user option with warning to the effect
that the security used may limit the password being accepted on any software but that used
to set the password.

Since this is all still password-based security, and the biggest vulnerability is direct attack
on the password, upgrading the encryption does not seem to be worth the disruption (unless
the less-disruptive (4) is pursued).

It would be good to put our heads together with LibreOffice and anyone else considering any
introduction of new encryption methods in password-protected files.  LO presumably has the
copyleft code that is no longer usable by us.  I see no enabling of it in LO producers so
far.

Collaboration on staging and maintenance of interoperability seems like a great opportunity
in this area.  The ODF Toolkit might provide some valuable reference cases as well.

 - Dennis