incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Commit messages
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:53:39 GMT
On 30.08.2011 17:53, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>> I'd like to see commit log/messages containing the number of fixed issue referenced
and no commit
>>> messages without that number.
>
> So people would not be allowed to improve things without first filing
> issues? Isn't that the kind of bureucracy that gave OOo a bad
> reputation among people who then created LibreOffice?

i also think that requiring an issue id and thus an issue in the
bugtracker for every commit is overkill.

there are lots of trivial problems that always pop up (especially
considering that we support many different platforms, and it's not
really possible to test all of them before every commit).

on the other hand, if there already is an issue for whatever is fixed by
a commit, then that commit should be required to contain the issue id.

> Also, having an issue number in the commit message is not really that
> helpful, if the commit message is a short one-liner, the bug report
> doesn't describe what the changed/added/fixed code actually does
> either, and no useful comments are added.

indeed, that sometimes bothered me in the past as well.

if a bug fix isn't totally obvious, then there should be a comment
somewhere, whether in the code, the commit message, or the issue
referred to by the commit message, as to what went wrong and why this is
the right fix.

> --tml

regards,
 michael