incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Gmane address encryption (was: Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?)
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:27:46 GMT
On 24.08.2011 22:39, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2011-08-24 11:42 AM  Michael Stahl wrote:
>> On 23.08.2011 21:25, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> How about the mangling of the To address?  When I get one of
>>> these, I cannot use any rules because the To address that my mail
>>> client sees is not that of ooo-dev but some hacked-up pseudo
>>> gmane address.
>> when signing up a mailing list at Gmane there is a checkbox whether
>> the mail addresses (as seen by Gmane users) should be mangled or
>> not; this feature is intended to prevent address harvesting and
>> thus deter spammers.
> Can that feature be changed? Is it necessary?

it seems there is a form on the Gmane site where the list information
can be edited, including the mangling (it is called "encryption").

but before changing it we should ensure that posters on this list are
not concerned about potentially getting more spam.

(haven't checked whether any of the various other sites that archive
this list expose the mail addresses to scraping by spammers)

> None of the OOo or LibreOffice lists that I follow with Gmane have
> mangled addresses. Nor do the other lists I follow.

of the LO lists that i look at occasionally only the main development
list seems to have the mangling enabled, the other ones not.

regards,
 michael